Mbambaira (Sweet Potatoes)
Sweet potatoes are a common food for the Shona people. They are mainly eaten for breakfast or lunch. Boiled sweet potatoes is the most common method of cooking sweet potatoes. Other people however prefer roasting them in fire or coal. And a little population oven bake sweet potatoes.
Boiled Sweet Potatoes
- Add the sweet potatoes into a pot. Make sure they are not really full in the pot so that you can add water into the pot.
- Add water into the pot just enough to cover the sweet potatoes
- Add some salt
- Boil the pot contents until the sweet potatoes are tender. You can be testing the tenderness of the sweet potatoes by trying to pierce them with a knife while they are boiling. If they are tender it will pierce of smoothly.
Coal Roasted sweet potatoes
- Place your sweet potatoes in/above fire/coal.
- Roast until tender
Oven Baked Sweet Potatoes Fries
- Peel the sweet potatoes
- Cut them into any shape of your choice (I prefer the little finger like shape and size)
- Coat the sweet potatoes with oil
- Line them in an oven preferably over a sheet tray
- Spread salt and or seasoning if you like
- Turn the sweet potatoes occasionally
- Bake until tender